How to make Black Forest Cake?
How to make Black Forest Cake?
Many people in the US are in love with Black Forest Cake and request it as their birthday cake. However, due to the lack of carefully prepared recipe, most citizens have to be dependent upon grocery stores which might sell dry and bland cakes. In this post, I’d like to give you some instructions on making Black Forest Cake.
Firstly, let’s learn about what’s Black Forest Cake. Black Forest Cake is a kind of traditional German dessert, typically made of chocolate sponge cakes, sandwiched together with fresh whipped cream, cherry filling and Kirsch.
Before starting making Black Forest Cake, you need to have the following ingredients in place:
- 1¾ cups (250 g/8.8 oz.) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ⅔ cup (65 g/2.3 oz.) natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (400 g/14 oz.) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) neutral oil, such as canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240 ml) hot water
Cherries and Cherry Syrup:
- 1 cup drained, canned cherries
- ¼ cup Kirsch, or another cherry liqueur
- cherry juice from canned cherries (drain cherries and reserve the juice)
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 3 cups heavy cream, cold
- ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 200 g/7 oz. chocolate shavings
- Fresh whole cherries
After preparing all the necessary ingredients, you may start by following instructions below while making Black Forest Cake:
- To make the chocolate cake: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Generously butter two 8-inch cake pans that are at least 2-inches high, and dust with cocoa powder, tapping the ramekins slightly to remove any excess.
- In a large bowl, place flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla, buttermilkand water (pour the water slowly so it won’t cook the eggs). Whisk until smooth. Add egg mixture into flour mixture and mix until smooth. Don’t overbeat – batter will be lumpy at first, but mix gently and eventually stir with a whisk just until smooth. The batter will be thin and liquid. That’s ok.
- Scrape batter into prepared pans. Bake cakes for 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven - this might take longer), or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before unmolding, then let cakes cool completely on a wire rack. I recommend wrapping the cakes in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze them for several hours before cutting them. Cut each cake layer in half horizontally.
- To make the syrup: place drained cherries in a medium bowl, and add to the bowl ¼ cup Kirsch and ½ cup cherry juice from can. Leave to soak at room temperature for 30 minutes or more, then drain cherries in a sieve over a bowl, keeping both the cherries and syrup. Add more cherry juice to the syrup to get 3/4 cup syrup (you won't need the rest of the juice, discard it or save for another use). This will be the soaking syrup for the cake layers.
- To make the whipped cream: Using a whipped cream charger, beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Assembly: Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate and brush with 1/3 of the cherry syrup. Cover top with a thick layer of whipped cream frosting (about 1 cup) and top with 1/3 of the cherries. Repeat twice more with remaining layers and top with the last cake layer (there’s no need to soak the top layer with syrup). Frost the top and sides of the cake with whipped cream. If you want, reserve some of the whipped cream, about 1½ cups, for decorating the top. Use a pastry bag with a large flower tip, and pipe rounds around the top. Top with whole cherries. Cover the sides and top with chocolate shavings, if desired. Store cake in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 days.
Making Black Forest Cake can be not that difficult as you think as long as you listen to my suggestions in this post. Now you can enjoy the classical cake with your family and friends.
In terms of making perfect whipped cream, I’d like to recommend you Blue Flag. Compared with other brands, this N2O whipped cream charger brand has been proven to be much safer, affordable and productive. If you are considering buying whipped cream chargers, Blue Flag is definitely a good choice for you.
- Shopify API